Getting a solid workout in during the week can be challenging, especially when you’re trying to pack your gym bag with the right essentials. Since forgetting key items like underwear or socks is just a big bummer (and it’s totally happened to us), we want to make getting to the gym easy with two helpful packing lists.
This one’s for you if you’re the guy who’s up at 5:00 a.m. and practically beats the gym staff to the door. You’ve got a short window of time before heading to the office, so an easy look that will work hard and keep you warm in the early morning hours is critical.
- Layers: A performance tee, zip-up jacket, and track pants will wick away moisture AND keep you warm on your commute in colder months.
- Nike running shoes—especially a lightweight pair that doesn’t weigh your bag down, but still offers lots of support cushioning.
- Men’s workout socks (pack a few extra pairs so you’re never without).
- Workout tech like headphones, iPod, and a Nike Fuel Band.
- Water bottle—gotta stay hydrated!
- Towel and your other necessary post-gym shower essentials.
Nike Dual Fusion ST 3 Running Shoe $69.95 (Compare at $75!)
- A slim-fitting charcoal suit and crisp white dress shirt. It’s a look that’s classic but the slim cut makes it feel more current.
- Black oxford shoes are simple but tie the whole look together.
- Have a little fun with your accessories, like a bright tie, patterned socks, and a modern watch. And don’t forget the aviator sunglasses for maximum cool factor.
- The other essentials, like undergarments and a belt—we’re not letting you forget those!
Mercanti Fiorentini Cap Toe Oxford $149.95 (Compare at $325!)
These looks are for the gentleman who’s addicted to the snooze button, so a post-work routine is preferred. Or, if a happy hour invite pops up on your calendar, a mid-day sweat session might be in the cards—so a no-fuss look gets you back to the office quickly.
- Pair your favorite denim with a crisp light blue button down for a casual, laidback look.
- Then, dress the whole thing up in just two moves—add a blazer and slip on brown dress shoes (we like the clean lines of this men’s oxford shoe). Don’t forget socks!
- If you’ve got extra time, add a vintage fabric watch or statement glasses for added flair.
Cole Haan Williams II $149.95 (Compare at $228!)
- Stuff running shorts and a long-sleeve shirt in your bag, plus a few pairs of socks.
- Cross training shoes are the best if you’re a gym “multitasker”—good for lifting weights, hitting a cycling class, or getting in a few miles on the treadmill.
- Once again, grab your tech. A workout tracker and your music is essential to getting through your gym time happy and motivated.
- Towel and shower essentials—just in case you’re heading back to the office or you’ve got a last-minute happy hour invite. Work hard, play hard!
What’s your preference? Work then workout, or workout then work? Share with us in the comments below!